New Zealand Training Programme for Specialist Dermatologists
Definition of Specialty
The study and treatment of diseases of the skin.
Dermatologists are specialist doctors vocationally registered by the Medical Council of New Zealand. Training in New Zealand consists of the following steps:
- Medical school – a 6-year course to qualify as a doctor, based at Auckland University or Otago University .
- House officer at a public hospital – 1-3 years to gain experience as a junior doctor in various departments.
- Medical registrar at a public hospital – 1-3 years training and experience in internal medicine.
- Written and clinical Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) part 1 examinations in internal medicine.
- Advanced training in dermatology at a New Zealand public hospital – 2 years training and experience.
- Advanced training in dermatology in an approved overseas centre – 2 years in general and subspecialist units in the United Kingdom, United States or Australia.
- Award of Fellowship – FRACP
- Postfellowship training in dermatological surgery is optional.
Requirements for Vocational Registration in Dermatology in New Zealand for local and overseas trained physicians can be obtained from the Medical Council of New Zealand.
Specialist Advisory Committee in Dermatology
Royal Australasian College of Physicians
PO Box10-601, Wellington 6011
Phone +64 4 472-6713. Fax +64 4 472-6718
Advanced training in dermatology is undertaken after basic training in Internal Medicine has been completed. Basic training lasts three years and must be accredited by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians. To enter advanced training in dermatology, a pass of the Fellowship examination is required.
Advanced training in dermatology
The website of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians includes the Dermatology curriculum (PDF download).
Please Note: Advice relating to training requirements should be sought from the Specialist Advisory Committee through the College Office.
- JRCPTB Dermatology – Training in dermatology in the United Kingdom
- MRCP Specialty Certificate Examination in Dermatology – Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom